new to python

Rikard Bosnjakovic bos at hack.org
Sun Aug 6 05:17:26 EDT 2000

Suraj Subramanian wrote:

> Hello
> i am new to python and trying to access the help in python,when i do a
> dir(modulename) it gives me a list of the function in the module,
> how do i know what arguments do we need to pass to the function or what
> does the function return ,can anybody help
> thanks

You could try to print the __doc__-string for the function:

>>> import string
>>> print string.join.__doc__
join(list [,sep]) -> string

    Return a string composed of the words in list, with
    intervening occurences of sep.  The default separator is a
    single space.

    (joinfields and join are synonymous)

Rikard Bosnjakovic - http://a214.ryd.student.liu.se

Anyone sending unwanted advertising e-mail to my address will be