Why are unified diffs only "grudgingly" accepted?

David Goodger dgoodger at bigfoot.com
Sun Aug 6 11:59:13 EDT 2000

on 2000-08-06 03:49, Moshe Zadka (moshez at math.huji.ac.il) wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Aug 2000, David Goodger wrote:
>> I've always found unified (-u) diffs to be infinitely
>> easier to read (by human eyes/brain) than context (-c) diffs.
>
> Guido doesn't.

Fair enough! Just curious. :> I'll use unified diffs for myself, and submit
context diffs. No biggie.

> What do you mean "automatic patches"?

I meant only that diff's output can be passed to "patch" without manual
intervention/editing, and produce a useful result. In other words, diff -c
and diff -u are equivalent as far as "patch" is concerned.

--
David Goodger    dgoodger at bigfoot.com    Open-source projects:
 - The Go Tools Project: http://gotools.sourceforge.net