A very, very newbie question :)

David Porter jcm at bigskytel.com
Wed Aug 23 12:31:38 EDT 2000

* The Jazz Singer <caitlin006 at earthlink.net>:

[...]
> I do, however, have a question. You see, I've
> been putting my scripts on notepad, saving them as .py's, and opening
> them, whenever I want to run them as a test. Well, it works fine. But
> when I open it, it speeds through theprogram so fast that I don't even
> get a chance to see it before it
> closes (!)

Here are a few suggestions:

   1) Run your programs from a dos prompt (select run and type in commad).
Then you can type 'python program.py' to execute the script.
   2) Unselect the option 'close on exit' for your dos. I'd like to be more
specific, but I'm not using windows and can't remember the specifics.
   3) add this line to the end of your python programs:

   raw_input('Press enter')

   This will make the program pause (and window stay open) until you press
enter.

> Any words of wisdom?

  Try a new editor! I suggest one with syntax highlighting (such as vim,
emacs, or pythonwin) and auto-indention. Syntax highlighting makes the
structure of a program much more apparent to me.

  David