tkinter and tcl/tk 8.3

Steve Marx sm004i at mail.rochester.edu
Sat Aug 19 18:37:50 EDT 2000

I just installed ActivePython on my Windows 98 machine and wanted to check
out IDLE.  Unfortunately, it seems to be hardcoded that Tkinter looks for
Tcl/Tk 8.0.  I didn't install 8.0 in the windows installation because I
already have Tcl/Tk 8.3 installed, and was hoping to simply use that.  IDLE
gives me an error message saying that it can't find tcl80.dll and tk80.dll
(which is quite right, as they're called tcl83.dll and tk83.dll to match my
newer version).  I tried simply copying the files to tcl80.dll and tk80.dll,
but then running IDLE caused an "illegal operation."

I would hope that this is a FAQ, but I can't find the answer anywhere.  Does
anyone have a solution other than installing Tcl/Tk 8.0?  If not, is it
reasonable to expect a new version of Tkinter soon that supports 8.3?

Thanks.

        Steve