ANNOUNCE: xmlpickle.py 0.1

Paul Boddie paulb at infercor.no
Tue Aug 1 06:19:23 EDT 2000

John Wiegley wrote:

> This is a very poor man's XML pickling scheme, but I was unable to
> find anything else.

Naive question: don't the 'xmlrpc' or 'soaplib' products from Pythonware have
this kind of code in them? Having asked that, if they do then I have probably
reinvented the wheel on previous occasions myself.

> It also provides a way of doing disk mirroring of in-memory objects.
> That is, the object is represented both in memory, as a Python object,
> and on disk, as an XML data file.  Whichever one is changed first, the
> other will be updated appropriately on the next access to the object.

[...]

This works very nicely indeed! One perverse thing I did try was to put my own
persistent objects inside each other, but it would seem that it would be
impossible to recreate the object hierarchy just from the XML files, although
the storage of such hierarchies was handled gracefully by the persistence
mechanism (recording the persistent class of the offending attributes in the
XML).

Regards,

Paul