Python not that wierd

Grant Griffin g2 at seebelow.org
Sun Aug 6 12:32:50 EDT 2000

Alex Martelli wrote:

> (TMTOWTDI in Python too, we just don't brag about it:-).

For example, in Perl I learned to use RE's for things that I might have
done with something like Python's "string" module in other languages.
(This one was a "light bulb" for me: Stop hunting for special string
functions in Perl, silly; just use RE's for all string-parsing
operations, no matter how simple.)

But in Python, one has a choice of doing the things which can be done
with the string module using either method--thus TMTOWTDI.  Because I
never achieved a 100% comfort level with RE's, and also (frankly), since
RE's are not as convenient in Python (which is about the only practical
disadvantage I have seen in Python compared to Perl), I'm glad to use
"string" operations whenever they will do the job.  And when these
things soon become built-in operators for string variables, that's even
better.

but-that-being-said,-the-general-goal-of-having-one
   --and-only-one--
   obvious-way-to-do-it-still-is-a-very,-very-good-idea-ly y'rs,

=g2
Perl Refugee

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation	      http://www.iowegian.com