What is off-topic? (was Re: UML Support for Python)

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Sun Aug 20 11:38:48 EDT 2000

In article <thmppsoqju5a2rudbb15k7db0kio1p030b at 4ax.com>,
Martin Rand  <mwr at hsl.tcp.co.uk> wrote:

>  [Whether UML makes any sense, particularly in a Python context]
>
>We seem to be getting off topic. I'd suggest moving into
>comp.software-eng if others agree.

I don't agree.  While discussing UML in general is more on-topic in
comp.software-eng, I think it's certainly on-topic to discuss here,
speaking as someone with ten years of Usenet experience and a lot of
time in the news.groups sewer.

For me, one of the strengths of the Python newsgroup is the fact that I
*do* get a broad exposure to many issues in software development, even
ones that have only tangential relevance to Python, because in the end
there is always some usefulness in such discussion to the actual act of
programming in Python.

As an analogy, there is a newsgroup alt.polyamory, which is for people
in multiple sexual/romantic relationships.  However, lots of monogamous
people read and post to the group because it's simply the best group on
Usenet for general relationship advice.

</soapbox>

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little
statesmen and philosophers and divines."  -- Ralph Waldo Emerson