Python 2.0 and Stackless

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at alum.mit.edu
Fri Aug 4 23:57:19 EDT 2000

In article <9b13RLA800i5EwLY at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk>,
  Robin Becker <robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <bld7joah8z.fsf at bitdiddle.concentric.net>, Jeremy Hylton
> <jeremy at beopen.com> writes
>
> I find this response rather conservative. JPython is not Python,
> stacklessness + continuations and the like are semantic not
> implementation issues. Python & java are direct competitors; GvR
should
> take the technical high ground wherever and whenever possible.

It is a conservative response.  JPython is an implementation of Python,
and compatibility between Python and JPython is important.  It's not
required for every language feature, of course; you can't load a Java
class file in C Python.

I'm not sure what you mean by distinguishing between the semantics of
continuations and the implementation of Stackless Python.  They are
both issues!  In the second half of my earlier message, I observed that
we would never add continuations without a PEP detailing their exact
semantics.  I do not believe such a specification currently exists for
stackless Python.

The PEP would also need to document the C interface and how it affects
people writing extensions and doing embedded work.  Python is a glue
language and the effects on the glue interface are also important.

As I said, there is nothing impossible about doing this.  Heck, I think
MzScheme has done a pretty good job at this.  But it is hard.

Jeremy

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.