Python and CORBA

Samuel A. Falvo II kc5tja at garnet.armored.net
Mon Aug 14 23:01:14 EDT 2000

In article <8mol0m$4v5$1 at pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk>, Duncan Grisby wrote:
>  PyORBit      -- http://theopenlab.uml.edu/pyorbit/

In the interests of not being absolutely shocked when things don't work as
planned, PyORBit, or anything else based on ORBit, do not produce IORs
capable of being read by any other ORB.  The reason is that they lack an
IIOP profile in the IOR, which prevents an object from being located via an
IIOP channel.  To help make things as fast as possible, Unix domain sockets
are used exclusively with ORBit, which means that the overhead of TCP/IP is
eliminated.  And considering the sheer quantity of separate applications
(address spaces) in a typical Gnome session, it also prevents socket
descriptor pollution in the kernel.

I was bitten by this "bug" (which it isn't really; the CORBA specs say
nothing about *requiring* an ORB to support IIOP) when trying to make a
distributed object application that utilized the Gnome libraries.

The other ORBs, as far as I can tell, all support IIOP (I *know* Fnorb
does, as that's what I ultimately ended up using instead; I use OmniORB
for my C/C++ stuff).

>free for all uses. Both Fnorb and PyORBit seem to have been abandoned.

I'm on the Fnorb mailing list.  It is still being developed.  However, the
maintainers have been assigned other projects by their employers.  A new
release of Fnorb is currently in the works, but an ETA isn't available yet.

--
KC5TJA/6, DM13, QRP-L #1447 | Official Channel Saint, *Team Amiga*
Samuel A. Falvo II	    |