ANN: PyStream - a C++ stream emulation

Alex Martelli alex at magenta.com
Fri Aug 25 05:15:35 EDT 2000

"Grant Griffin" <g2 at seebelow.org> wrote in message
news:39A58EE6.5C17780D at seebelow.org...
    [snip]
> > "You know you've achieved perfection in design, not when you have
nothing
> > more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away." (Antoine de
> > Saint-Exupery).
>
> Those are good points, and I agree with the quote--particular in the
> case of Python, which it seems almost written to characterize.

Artists are to some extent time-travelers; Saint-Exupery lived and
wrote in the '30s.  I think his sentiments on this matter, besides
his outstanding aesthetic sense, were basically motivated by his job:
as an airplane pilot (relying on cutting-edge technology, back then),
he had learned to appreciate simplicity.  "The part that cannot
break is the one which isn't there", etc, etc.  I think Chuck Yaeger,
though not quite as facile with language as the French pilot-poet,
expressed very similar sentiments, regarding spareness and simplicity
of design as the outstanding features of the best airplanes, a few
years later.

Alex