Win32 DLL problem: Extension crashes when using FILE *

Mark Hammond MarkH at ActiveState.com
Thu Aug 10 23:10:59 EDT 2000

> I have been trying very hard to find out how I can force Visual C++
6.0
> to link against MSVCRT.dll. Unfortunately to no avail. Does anybody
> know what settings to use?

See below:

> The following is based on the file PC/example_nt/example.txt in the
> Python distribution.

What distribution is that?  Both 1.5.2 and 1.6 appear to have
"example_nt/readme.txt", with contents quite different then you
quote - yours looks quite a bit later.  However, both are missing the
vital information you need.

I have added the following para to readme.txt - I would like to add it
to the example.txt you quote, but I can't find it??

Select the "C/C++" tab.  Choose the "Code Generation" category
in the popup menu at the top.  In the 'Use run-time library' option,
select 'Multithreaded DLL'.  If you need to make a Debug build,
you must ensure the Debug build uses 'Debug Multithreaded DLL'
NOTE: *** This step is important, otherwise your extension
is likely to crash when using FILE objects etc - please see
Python FAQ entry 8.7 at http://www.python.org/doc/FAQ.html#8.7

-- it then continues with:

Still on the "C/C++" tab, choose the "Preprocessor" category
in the popup menu at the top.  Type the following text in the entry
box labeled "Addditional include directories:"

 ..\Include,..\PC

-- etc.

Mark.