mysql_fetch_fields()

Irene Barg ibarg at as.arizona.edu
Mon Aug 7 09:56:19 EDT 2000

System:  RedHat Linux 6.1, MySQLdb-0.2.1,
         mysql-3.22.32  python-1.5.2

Problem:
I want to imlement a MySQL SAX driver as provided in Sean
McGrath's "XML Processing with Python".  I'm having to change
some of the module function calls to meet MySQLdb-0.2.1.
However, i cannot map the follow correctly:
                # Perform the query
                #qry = self.db.query(self.QueryExpression)
                qry = self.db.cursor()
                qry.execute(self.QueryExpression)
                # fields is a list of fields in each row
                #self.fields=qry.fields()
                ???can't use list_fields()????
                # rows is a list of result rows
                #rows=qry.fetchrows()
                rows= qry.fetchall()

'qry.fields()' is not implemented in MySQLdb-0.2.1, but the method
'conn.list_fields('table') exists.  But you need to know the
table, which in the above code, the 'table' is embedded in the
QueryExpression.  If I grep for 'field' in the MySQLdb-0.2.1
directory, i see:

_mysqlmodule.c:        fields = mysql_fetch_fields(self->result);

Instead of a connection object, it expects a result object?  How
could I use this function inside my Python code above?
I have spent hours trying to figure this out.  Your comments are
greatly apreciated.
Thanks,
--irene

Irene Barg			Email:	ibarg at as.arizona.edu
Steward Observatory		Phone:  520-621-2602
933 N. Cherry Ave.
University of Arizona		FAX:    520-621-1891
Tucson, AZ  85721		http://nickel.as.arizona.edu/~barg