Python 2.0 and Stackless

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Sat Aug 5 06:14:22 EDT 2000

Just van Rossum <just at letterror.com> wrote:
[snip]
> Even though it requires
> extensive patches in the eval loop, all additional semantics are nicely
> hidden in an extension module. The Java argument is a *very* poor one
> because of this. No, you can't load a Java class in CPython, and yes,
> "import continuation" fails under JPython. So what?

Right, I never really understood the Java argument either in this light.
Presumably the Java argument could be extended by saying "well, but
stackless will be so popular it'll be *used* everywhere in modules,
and then those modules wouldn't be runnable in Java". But if you say
that you'd be implying it'd be popular and useful!

And presumably there are popular Java modules used by JPython apps. I mean,
that's one of the main reasons for the existence of JPython, you'd think?

Not-claiming-to-be-an-expert-on-any-of-this-ly yours,

Martijn