Python and CORBA

Duncan Grisby dgrisby at uk.research.att.com
Tue Aug 8 05:48:06 EDT 2000

In article <mjvmm8.vs.ln at asterix.gallien.de>,
 Detlev Offenbach  <detlev at offenbach.fs.uunet.de> wrote:

>I am looking for a CORBA environment for Python. It should be CORBA 2.3
>compliant and offer at least a naming, a trader and an event service. Is
>there something around?

As far as I know, none of the Python ORBs have their own trader
services. They should all be able to use a trader service from another
ORB, though.

I'm the author of omniORBpy which is, I believe, the only ORB which
completely follows the official OMG Python mapping. omniORB comes with
a Naming service, and an Event service is also available. Both
services are written in C++, not Python. omniORBpy is released under
the GNU LGPL, with GPL tools. More details at

  http://www.uk.research.att.com/omniORB/omniORBpy/

In the interests of fairness, the other Python ORBs are:

  ILU          -- ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/ilu/ilu.html
  Fnorb        -- http://www.fnorb.com/
  PyORBit      -- http://theopenlab.uml.edu/pyorbit/
  orbit-python -- http://projects.sault.org/orbit-python/

Fnorb is free for non-commercial use. The others are open source and
free for all uses. Both Fnorb and PyORBit seem to have been abandoned.
Is anyone still working on them?

Cheers,

Duncan.