Still no new license -- but draft text available

Alex Martelli alex at magenta.com
Fri Aug 4 17:06:55 EDT 2000

"Grant Edwards" <ge at nowhere.none> wrote in message
news:McFi5.3426$6E.995372 at ptah.visi.com...
    [snip]
> >>Employers can not claim ownership of things that employees do
> >>on their own time with their own resources.  Even if you signed
> >>something like that, it would likely be unenforcible. If you
    [snip]
> I've talked to people who've gotten out from under agreements
> like that, but I suppose it depends on the agreement.  I'd

I suspect it depends more on the jurisdiction.  At least in
most of continental Europe, there are pretty strict laws and
regulations around labour conditions and contracts; and the
unions, while not as strong as in their heyday, are still
strong enough to help enforce them (for example, by providing
highly subsidized or totally free legal help to employers who
have found themselves having to sign such contracts as a
condition of employment -- indeed, in some places there can
be a penal responsibility of the employer for placing such
supplementary extra-legal conditions on employment).

I understand the underlying theory in the US is different,
and, particularly, so is the practice (no cheap legal aid
easily available to employees for such lawsuits).  Still, I
suspect both practice and theory can vary between States
there, too...

Alex