ANNOUNCE: xmlpickle.py 0.1

Rob Hooft rob at hooft.net
Wed Aug 2 03:30:30 EDT 2000

 JW> This is a very poor man's XML pickling scheme, but I was unable
 JW> to find anything else.

 JB> Naive question: don't the 'xmlrpc' or 'soaplib' products from
 JB> Pythonware have this kind of code in them? Having asked that, if
 JB> they do then I have probably reinvented the wheel on previous
 JB> occasions myself.

I haven't looked at soap too deeply yet, but xmlrpc definitely
does not define enough XML to pickle every possible python object.
OTOH it does much more, namely specify a "call" and a "return value"
protocol.

 MF> I don't know about those, but Zope does have an XML pickling
 MF> facility inside for its XML exports.

Yep, but that is not live!

 JW> I guess the best answer would be not to advertise my effort as
 JW> XML pickling.  What I wanted was the disk mirroring effect, since
 JW> I want to deal with the data as an object, but I want to be able
 JW> to edit it "live" from Emacs.  So perhaps "xmlmirror.py" would
 JW> have been a better name.

Much better. How would your code behave when the xmlmirror is opened
by multiple python processes? Is there any kind of locking?

Rob

--
=====   rob at hooft.net          http://www.hooft.net/people/rob/  =====
=====   R&D, Nonius BV, Delft  http://www.nonius.nl/             =====