scripting language newbie - compatibility

Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Mon Aug 7 15:49:53 EDT 2000

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000 10:34:18 +0200, "Alex Martelli" <alex at magenta.com>

> My current Python usage is overwhelmingly on Windows platforms,
> and I find it very interesting that Python performs so perfectly on
> what IS, after all, neither of the 'main' platforms above.

	Heh... My first exposure was the Amiga port.

	And my first "real" program was part of an MTA. The InetUtils
package I'd been using was losing too many outgoing emails (one, it
created a separate email for EACH address in the header, and tried to
send directly to those addresses rather than relaying via my ISP, and
two, if it timed out on one message, it basically locked up and never
sent any others); the first replacement program I tried only looked at
the "to:" header for destinations. In the end, I created a Python
program to do the SMTP work with my ISP, and an AREXX script to take
messages from my mail client and "spool" them for the Python job.