Sybase modules?

Paul Boddie paulb at infercor.no
Tue Aug 8 08:54:51 EDT 2000

Alain TESIO wrote:

> ODBC is an additional layer which you use when you don't have any
> other way to access the database (from Visual Basic for example), but
> it can't be as efficient as a native driver.

I'd rather have the functionality that mxODBC gives now with ODBC than any
supposed efficiency with the native modules. As I have noted on numerous
occasions, mxODBC supports query/action parameters whilst the native Sybase
modules do not (or did not about four months ago); I would have thought that
because of this alone, mxODBC has a significant advantage both in terms of
efficiency over the native modules and in terms of ease of maintenance of code
written to use it.

As for the "nativeness" of ODBC, I wouldn't mind knowing how "native" the ODBC
driver with Adaptive Server Anywhere is. I accept that using things like
OpenLink's multi-tier solution is going to introduce some performance penalties
but, as I note above, I prefer to be able to write according to the DB-API
specification as opposed to some supposedly compliant interface which turns out
to omit some of the more interesting (and, in my view, essential) parts.

Regards,

Paul