Still no new license -- but draft text available

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Thu Aug 17 16:45:40 EDT 2000

[Pat McCann]
> (This is a reason we need a very free license that is well known
> to be "lawyer proof".  Maybe Python's is close to that.)

Well, the intellectual effort that's been poured into the CNRI Open Source
License is (to me!) staggering, and isn't over yet.  And it does indeed
*intend* to be "very free".  But a few of the clauses remain troubling to
many, and, as you've said here before, until a thing is tested in court we
won't really know how lawyer-proof it is -- and maybe not even then.

in-a-world-where-you're-not-even-assured-of-living-another-minute-
    there's-something-naive-about-expecting-certainty-from-large-
    piles-of-words<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim