PYTHON IS CRAP

Courageous jkraska1 at san.rr.com
Tue Aug 15 23:22:40 EDT 2000

Ben Wolfson wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 01:40:24 GMT, Courageous <jkraska1 at san.rr.com> wrote:
>
> >Python will not outperform Java. If some performance savvy
> >wizard wants to prove me wrong, I'll gracefully accept
> >tons of egg on my face, but otherwise I believe that you
> >have made some sort of measurement error.
>
> <http://www.twistedmatrix.com/~glyph/rant/python-vs-java.html> isn't very
> objective, but there are reproducable tests, in some of which Python
> outperformed Java.

I found this table interesting. The notes on Python's versus
Java's performance on I/O are well taken. I also found that
Python outperformed Java in hashing to be interesting (but
not really all that surprising, Python has a very highly
optimized Dictionary).

Several notes: this is a test of Java 1.1, and likely did
not involve a JIT. Use of a modern Java variant and a JIT
would change these numbers quite a bit, I think.

Note as well that this author tested the 1-100,000 loop and
found Java to be 8x faster than Python. This is more in line
with what I would have thought. The equivalent C expression
is 100x faster than Python.

C//