gratuitous new features in 2.0

John W. Baxter jwbnews at scandaroon.com
Mon Aug 28 18:06:33 EDT 2000

In article <m1u2c5rucd.fsf at bertrand.carcosa.net>, jmcbray at carcosa.net
(Jason F. McBrayer) wrote:

> JWB> I *suspect* that I won't make much use of print >> ..., but instead
> keep
> JWB> on getting a file(-like) object and using its write().
>
> Yes, but you'll have to debug and maintain other people's code that
> was written using print >>.  Won't that be fun?
>
> Imho the best solution I've seen is printto(1, "foo", bar,
> file=sys.stdout)
> as a builtin function.  No new syntax, and you get to keep all the
> automagic stuff that print does.

OK, gang.  print >> file, is coming.  It's workable, and it's not
mandatory.  (And if it becomes deprecated in Python 3000 many (not all)
of the same people currently bashing it will suddenly be its defenders.)
The fact that I will probably tend not to use it much won't keep me from
understanding it and maintaining code which uses it.

Guido has explained why he and the developer group decided on this
rather than functions and methods and new keywords and...

Let's move on.  As I plan to...I'll be filtering out this thread and
related threads after the middle of the week.

   --John

John W. Baxter   Port Ludlow, WA USA  jwbnews at scandaroon.com