Which CGI server module to use?

plakal at nospam-cs.wisc.edu plakal at nospam-cs.wisc.edu
Mon Aug 7 02:19:55 EDT 2000

Hi,

I have a few CGI scripts in Python running on my school account here
and I was thinking about approaching the local lab to add a Python
module to the Apache server to speed up script processing.

I see at least four choices for Apache:
    - mod_python
    - mod_snake
    - mod_pyapache
    - fastcgi

I've looked around on the web and in newsgroups but haven't found
a good comparison of these options. Anyone tried out these modules
and have opinions?

Specifically, I'd like to get a comparison of:
    - ease of setup (CGI stuff is low priority for our lab)
    - ease of use
    - performance
    - resource-usage (our CGI server is a venerable SPARCstation 10
      with 32MB RAM running Solaris 2.6 and Apache 1.3.12)

Thanks,

Manoj