Looking for Python programmers--where to search?

Peter Hansen phansen at kaval.com
Mon Aug 21 00:45:15 EDT 2000

I second the other comments posted in response to this.  Ditch Python as a
requirement for programmers.  Find people with *web* experience, and OOP
competence.  Find people with excellent communications skills.  Find people
who know how to define or elicit requirements, design well, and code
efficiently in any language.  Find disciplined programmers.

In the unlikely case you stumble across a suitable person who also happens
to know Python, consider also buying a lottery ticket that day.

(Actually, in my experience if you stumble across a suitable person who has
even *heard* of Python, you're having a good week.)

That in no way should be considered a reason not to use Python for a
project, mind you, provided you aren't betting the company on a new
technology.  (If this is the first time you've used Python in your company,
you would be well advised to postpone the project until some less critical
internal project with it has given you some exposure... )

Sam Penrose wrote:

> My company does web applications in Python, and we're growing like nuts.
> Despite (or because of) being in the SF Bay Area, we're having a hard
> time finding Python coders. The jobs page at www.python.org appears to
> be in limbo due to the CNRI-BeOpen tango. Any suggestions on where to
> publicize our open positions? Is it appropriate to post in this
> newsgroup? If we can't figure something out, we're going to have to
> start working in Perl...
>
> --
> spenrose at well dot com

Peter Hansen, P.Eng.