Still no new license -- but draft text available

Grant Griffin g2 at seebelow.org
Sun Aug 20 16:44:09 EDT 2000

Courageous wrote:

> > Even if Richard Stallman's followers don't understand it, I'm pretty
> > sure that _he_ understands...
>
> I would go one step further and say that he even understands the
> limitations of GPL itself. In some respects, if I would guess that
> if he had to do it all over again, he'd be using a more liberal
> license. While this is suppositions, I'm not entirely talking out
> of my ass; I'm basing my opinion on personal email traffic I've
> had with him.

I guess I'm not quite sure how the concept of Copyleft can be
liberalized at all without becoming "Wide Open".  Also, I think his
article on "Don't use the LGPL" is fairly recent--maybe within the last
year or two; that doesn't seem to indicate that his thinking is moving
towards a more liberal license.

In any event, unless Richard Stallman has some sort of pathological fear
of admitting he was wrong <0.1 wink>, it's probably not too late for him
to change revise his teachings on the GNU web site, and/or to publish a
new version of the license.

(frequently-wrong-myself,-and-proud-of-it-<wink>)-ly y'rs,

=g2
p.s.  I recently read an online interview with Mr. Stallman which
consisted mainly of the interviewer asking questions, and then Mr.
Stallman responding not by answering, but by denying the premise of each
question.  One soon got the idea that he was
rather...well...uncompromising.

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation	      http://www.iowegian.com