Is Python moving too fast? (was Re: Is python commercializationazing? ...)

Warren Postma embed at NOSPAM.geocities.com
Mon Aug 28 11:40:25 EDT 2000

"David" <root at 127.0.0.1> wrote in message
news:39ad4c13.133044877 at news.telus.net...
> On Sat, 26 Aug 2000 10:11:12 -0500 (CDT), Skip Montanaro <skip at mojam.com>
> wrote:
> >    1.  For the first time in it's 10+ year history, the language
actually
> >        has a team of programmers led by Guido whose full-time job is to
> >        work on the language.
>
> I'm going to be exceedingly crass here, and suggest that when your
> full-time job is to work on the language, you're rather forced to make
> changes for the sake of changes, because otherwise you won't have a job.

In a backhanded way, that's quite the compliment:  "Python is Perfect. Don't
you dare add/remove/modify a Single Thing, lest it then move to the left or
right, and Cease to Be Perfect".

This reminds me of an old philosopher/theologian thing: Anything Perfect
must therefore be Immutable. Actually any Perfect thing will always be more
or less perfect than something else unless it was the Most Perfect thing, so
there can be only one Perfect Thing.

Python: The one and only perfect programming language! ;-)

Next time someone asks why there are both Tuples and Lists in Python, reply
that it's because Tuples are Created Perfect, and therefore must not change.
Hey, I like that!  :-)

Warren