Questions for Guido van Rossum (Was: ...Tim Peters)

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Tue Aug 8 11:27:44 EDT 2000

In article <398F91E2.6D956FD7 at my.signature>,
Greg Ewing  <see at my.signature> wrote:

>Incidentally, this means that all the stuff about clicking on the
>ACCEPT button is meaningless and superfluous. Worse, I think it's
>misleading, because it gives the impression that it *is* a contract
>that you can accept or reject, when in fact it is not.

I don't know how much you've been following political developments in
the USA WRT contract/license law, but there's this ugly thing called
UCITA that makes "clickwrap" licenses enforceable.  Apparently, Virginia
was one of the first states to pass UCITA, so it's no surprise to me
that CNRI's new license contains a clickwrap clause.  <sigh>  For this
purpose, it doesn't really matter, though.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

NOTE: end of September, Earthlink kills Netcom.  My new permanent address is
aahz at pobox.com.  I have not decided where to set my primary shell account.
Please do not send me e-mail condolences; my mailbox is already too big.