print statement and multithreading

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Fri Aug 25 16:29:43 EDT 2000

[Tony J Ibbs (Tibs)]

> Unfortunately, the world is set up so that standards bodies have very
> limited sources of revenue with which to do their work (and bear in mind
> that

> (b) their employers are probably putting in money, too, if only in lost
> "paid work time", and

Employers often pay flight tickets and other travel expenses, which for
a few people on committees, sums up to a good amount...

> 2. Charging people for the privilege of being on committees

And employers, often, pay for this as well. :-)

Some printed standards are _very_ expensive, and just not affordable in
practice for simple people like me.  (A few friends tell me that I could
get many for free if playing the proper cards, but I do not like games.)

Sometimes, I have the feeling that standards organisations seem to need
a lot of money, and run a non-negligible overhead.  But I'm not really in
the field, and my intuition could be wrong.