win32 docu?

Alex Martelli alex at magenta.com
Mon Aug 7 15:50:56 EDT 2000

"Stefan Migowsky" <smigowsky at dspace.de> wrote in message
news:326536345498D311B3BC00105A39802A074803 at newsintern.dspace.de...
> What you probably need is the win32api documentation since
> the win32.. functions are almost a one to one mapping to
> the win32api functions. You'll get these with e.g. the VC++
> compiler or in full flavor with the MSDN.

Which you can get online, at msdn.microsoft.com; or, for the
Win32 API's, also by freely downloading from the MS site the
"Platform SDK", which does come with the API docs.  However,
the almost-one-to-one mapping is there _conceptually_, but
there are enough differences due to the fact of C not being
Python (and vice versa) that taking a look at the help files
that come with the win32all download is also worthwhile.

As Thomas wrote, though:

> If you don't know the name and the modul of a function you spend a lot
> of time to look for it. ;-(

...this is still true even for the Win32 API docs, or any
other doc for a large library I've ever heard of.  I've
spent much time answering questions on groups devoted to
the API's (it.comp.programmare.win32 particularly -- in
Italian), and 50% of my answers took the form of mentioning
one or two functions, letting it up to the questioner to
look up the details.  The 'How do I...' -> function-names
mapping is not automated for any LARGE library I know...

Alex