File Permissions

Fredrik Lundh effbot at telia.com
Thu Aug 31 13:57:13 EDT 2000

Lenny Self <lenny at squiggie.com> wrote:
> After looking though the Python Essential Reference and the Python Library
> Reference I am still stumped on how to get a file's permissions. I have been
> able to get a file's owner and group IDs using the os.stat function but it
> doesn't seem to give me the file's permissions.
>
> Can someone help me out?  I'd really appreciate it.

the first member of the stat tuple (ST_MODE) contains
the permissions, as a bitmask.

you can use the functions and macros in the "stat" module
to decipher them.

    st = os.stat(myfile)
    mode = st[stat.ST_MODE]
    if mode & stat.ST_IREAD:
        print "readable"
    if mode & stat.ST_IWRITE:
        print "writable"
    if mode & stat.ST_IEXEC:
        print "executable"

(etc)

</F>

<!-- daily news from the python universe:
http://www.pythonware.com/daily/index.htm
-->