Newbie question - calling external Python programs

Olaf Delgado delgado at pinax.Mathematik.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Sun Aug 20 03:32:24 EDT 2000

thor at localhost.localdomain (Manuel Gutierrez Algaba) writes:

> On Sat, <stephen_ferg at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> [...about imports. Civilised ways of importing lot of modules...]
>
> Well, python is so damned advanced that you can  import a module
> whenever you want to. You can import :
>
> - inside a function:
[...]

Indeed, modules are just ordinary data objects, so you can shuffle them
around, give them dirty names (AKA assignment) und get rid of them via the
'del' statement. The latter should actually release their memory, as far as
I know and came to understand the way Python operates.

> Doing the similar thing in C++ or Java is , how would I say?,
> f*ckingly impossible.

'utterly' is the word you were looking for. :)

--
   ////         Olaf Delgado Friedrichs, Uni Bielefeld, Mathematik
   Olaf         Postfach 100131                  (room:  V4-109)