Free DB options under python

Cees de Groot cg at gaia.cdg.acriter.nl
Tue Aug 8 17:15:55 EDT 2000

Alex Martelli <alex at magenta.com> said:

>What about Interbase, which is now also opensource -- how does it
>compare in scaling terms with Postgres...?

I don't know. However, rumour has it that Interbase was made open source
because Borland/Inprise didn't make significant money from it and the
techies wanted to leave the customers with support options before killing
off the product line. If that is true, Interbase was a dying product
already and it remains to be seen whether open sourcing it attracts a
significant mass of developers.

In any case, just because it used to be a commercial product doesn't make
it necessarily a better product than tried and true open source products.
Netscape's first Mozilla cut comes to mind, and I'm not holding my breath
about Sun's StarOffice either.

[hmm... we're quickly wandering off-topic. My apologies, I'll quit here]

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>
Forge your CipherSaber and list it: http://www.xs4all.nl/~cg/ciphersaber/