Sybase modules?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Sat Aug 12 06:05:57 EDT 2000

Alain TESIO wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Aug 2000 16:41:57 +0200, Paul Boddie <paulb at infercor.no>
> wrote:
>
> >Randy Heiland wrote:
> >>
> >> Recommendations for a Sybase module?
> >
> >I recommend mxODBC (http://starship.python.net/crew/lemburg/mxODBC.html) along
> >with the appropriate drivers (which depend on the Sybase product that you are
> >using). See my "mxODBC Configuration Guide" for some details:
> >
> >  http://www.crosswinds.net/~pboddie/Python/mxODBC.html
> >
> >Currently, I document the process of getting mxODBC to work with two different
> >Sybase product families and with Solid Embedded Engine.
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Paul
>
> ODBC is an additional layer which you use when you don't have any
> other way to access the database (from Visual Basic for example), but
> it can't be as efficient as a native driver.

Not always:
Solid uses ODBC as their native API, as does IBM with DB2 in
recent versions.

For DBs which don't, there are high quality and fast drivers
from OpenLink and Merant.

ODBC may be a little slower than using native APIs, but you'll
soon find that supporting native interfaces is a pain (just ask
the Digital Creation people about the Oracle interface which
changes even from patch level to patch level).

And on top of it all, ODBC buys you flexibility when moving
to other platforms or scaling you databse backend, e.g.
moving it from an NT server to a Unix machine.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg