Recommendations please

Manuel Gutierrez Algaba thor at localhost.localdomain
Sun Aug 20 16:55:59 EDT 2000

On 20 Aug 2000 Andrew Kuchling <akuchlin at mems-exchange.org> wrote:
>thor at localhost.localdomain (Manuel Gutierrez Algaba) writes:
>> Although, it wasn't write for the purpose of Computer Programming,
>>  I think the all times best Computer programming book is :
>> "Peloponesian War" by Tukydides.
>
>I can't quite see the connection between Thucydides and OO.
>By an amazing coincidence, my book club recently finishing
>
>Some sections are really interesting, such as book 7 where the
>Athenian army under Nicias slowly falls apart.  But lots of it was
>rather dull, in the way of military histories that deal with battles
>on a microscopic day-by-day scale, so that you get lost in detail and
>can't see the forest for the trees.  Hmm... maybe now I see the
>relation to OO...
>
>--amk

Well, the first impressing thing is that many concepts are still
valid nowadays.

Then, you have hundreds of relationships and inheritances (how
bad and treasurous are the bad ones ) and the existence of
a typical bad_guy_class, which is the base class for many others.
The relationships among cities.

What I mean is that it shows us a whole world, a real world,
superbly described and rich. With strong characters both human
and communities (like Spartans). That's whole world if you
take the patience to model or to think about it in terms of
OO, it's rather more valuable than a "mathematical" aproach.

I rather prefer to learn how to model a large bunch of behaviours,
relationships and characters, than learn how to optimize a search
algorithm.

Informatica is about information (modelling information), few
people seems to remember that.

---
MGA