Python+StarOffice, anyone? (was Re: Database editor?)

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Thu Aug 10 11:27:44 EDT 2000

Alex,

Looks like there are lots of ways to talk to it, see
http://www.sun.com/products/staroffice/5.2/comparison/prog.h
tml
to get started.  I downloaded 5.2 (90+Mb), as I looked at
5.1 in
Oct 99 and wasn't satisfied.  If it works out this time,
I'll
snag a copy of the SDK.  Hopefully there'll be documentation
this time, although the newsgroup was helpful.

--

Emile van Sebille
emile at fenx.com
-------------------

"Alex Martelli" <alex at magenta.com> wrote in message
news:8mual5015v3 at news2.newsguy.com...
> "pehr anderson" <pehr at pehr.net> wrote in message
> news:3992A66A.638501B8 at pehr.net...
> > Dear Oliver,
> >
> > I believe there is an MS Access equivalent bundled into
> > StarOffice 5.2. I've found this latest version of star
office
> > to be a pretty good replacement for *all aspects* of MS
Office.

> I'd love switching from Office 2000 to StarOffice if it
was
> really possible.  But how does StarOffice expose its inner
> workings to external programs/scripts, e.g. in Python?  I
> had tried to understand how to drive it from Python (like
> can do with Office 2000 and Automation -- but in Windows
> only) and load Python into it (like I can do from Office's
> VBA with ScriptControl and Python's ActiveScripting
> compliance -- but, again, in Windows only!) at the time of
> 5.1, but just couldn't find out how, or even whether, it
was
> possible at all.
>
> Seamless porting from Windows to Linux of
Python+StarOffice
> vertically integrated solutions would be VERY neat, but
even
> if I found a Windows-only solution (e.g. based on
Automation
> and COM) it would be far better than nothing -- at least
it
> would be freely redistributable without requiring the
end-user
> to buy Office 2000 licenses, which aren't exactly cheap.
>
> But -- is it feasible at all?  If it is, where can I find
documentation