gratuitous new features in 2.0

Mike Fletcher mfletch at tpresence.com
Fri Aug 25 06:00:41 EDT 2000

Afraid I'm not really finding the ">>" syntax very beautiful/clear/obvious
either.  It's recognisable to Unix and C++ people, but it's not a
particularly obvious reference for non-C++ programmers or those not
accustomed to using shell redirection.

Of the alternates proposed, "to" (which has problems with not currently
being a keyword, and thereby introducing some potential for code breakage,
but is the most intuitive word) or "in" seem the clearest.  That said.  I'm
one of those who don't see why this needs to be a syntax-level construct, a
function would seem just as useful and readable (more readable than the >>
syntax, at least), and doesn't introduce the cryptic symbols of the current
PEP.

Enjoy yourselves,
Mike