again re 1.6b1 on Windows

Tom nospam at nospam.com
Sun Aug 6 22:08:46 EDT 2000

"Alex Martelli" <alex at magenta.com> wrote in message
news:8mkpke02enm at news1.newsguy.com...
> pyexpat and zlib work fine.  bsddb, I dunno -- the docs send one to
> Sam Rushing's web page, I got the zip from there, but it's just a .pyd
> hardcoded to Python 1.4, apparently; I don't know where to get the rest
> from -- I guess with shelve, gadfly, etc, I can do without it:-).
>
> I understand _tkinter is optional, but I'm surprised IDLE can work
> without it...?  Still haven't gotten around to building it, yet.  I
> do have Tcl/Tk (from the Python 1.5.2 release).

Yes, good question.  I didn't compile _tkinter and yet IDLE worked - I
wonder what _tkinter is for?

> On your page you suggest wxPython as a cross-platform GUI, but I
> think the current release is hardcoded to using Python's 1.5 dll...?
> It doesn't seem to be working for me, anyway.  So I've downloaded
> the 9+ megs of wxWindows and have built those (still need to test a
> bit) and thought I'd rebuild wxPython next.  Does wxPython 2.2.0
> work for you with Python 1.6b1...?

No.  I just tried it now and it doesn't work.  I get the following error:
"Fatal Python error: PyThreadState_Get: no current thread".

> > As for setup, I did the following with the files I built:
> > - the .exe files I stuck in ...Python16.
> > - the .dll goes in your system folder (eg. WinNT/System32).
> > - the .pyd files (c modules) I stuck in ...Python16\DLLs.
> >
> > And the registry stuff is optional I believe.
> >
> > Does this help?
>
> Sure does, thanks.  If the registry stuff is optional, all
> the rest is easy. That doesn't really seem so from Hammond's
> page (to which you kindly provide a pointer from yours), but
> that page does give more than enough info to proceed anyway.
>
> The build-from-source rather than just-install may be needed
> for all sorts of optional-but-who-can-live-without-them things
> such as kwP and NumPy, anyway -- unless each and every author
> of such wonderful things releases a version built for 1.6p1,
> I guess.  Maybe once a proper installer is released I will
> put up downloadable .pyd's, if I can figure out the various
> licenses:-), just so non-VC++-owners can still have the great
> benefits from these indispensible add-ons.

I figure it doesn't matter too much for a beta release.  And it sounds like
the final release will be available in not too long.

Tom.