CGI with Python: advantages?

Moshe Zadka moshez at math.huji.ac.il
Mon Aug 7 02:18:53 EDT 2000

[Mimmo]
> Does it offer something more (speed, efficency or whatever else) than
> Perl or other languages used to write this kind of scripts?

[Moshe Zadka]
> If you're looking for speed and efficiency, I think the main overhead in
> most CGI scripts is the prohibitive start-up time. While Python's start-up
> time is longer then Python, they are pretty close

[Mimmo]
> You used Python twice in this sentence: which is the real Python and
> which is Perl? ;-)

[Moshe]
Python's time is longer.

[Mimmo]
> Or can I
> still use Perl for my CGIs and use Python for other things?

[Moshe]
> Ummmm......I'm sorry. Once you start using Python, you have to use it
> everywhere. Using another language that starts with a P is completely out
> of the question!

[Mimm]
> Including Pascal? ;-)

[Moshe]
Well, using Pascal is certainly forbidden. We're doing this for your own
good.

[Moshe]
> If you want cool HTML generation, you should get the htmlgen module. If
> you find this is really a need, consider if you're not mixing code with
> graphic design and or content, and if CGI is the correct solution for you.

[Mimmo]
> Very often it is! But I also use PHP and a bit of Java when I need them.
> I also want to know another language (Python) mainly to write CGIs, that maybe
> I'll use for other things in the future: now CGIs are what I need (for
> my bread!!)!!
> Do you think I'm totally crazy? ;-)

[Moshe]
Well, I for one think writing CGIs in Python is much more fun then Perl,
but that's because I think everything is more fun in Python. It takes so
little time to try it, that it's faster to learn and see for yourself.

--
Moshe Zadka <moshez at math.huji.ac.il>
There is no IGLU cabal.