PEP 214, extended print statement

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Mon Aug 21 19:38:52 EDT 2000

In article <8ns7qn01gmj at news2.newsguy.com>,
Alex Martelli <alex at magenta.com> wrote:
>"Aahz Maruch" <aahz at netcom.com> wrote in message
>news:8nrit3$q3l$1 at slb6.atl.mindspring.net...
>> In article <uwvhaucpb.fsf at cs.uu.nl>,  <piet at cs.uu.nl> wrote:
>>>
>>>As this should be as easy as print itself, buitin would be
>>>preferably.  Moreover to stress the relationship, maybe println would
>>>be a better name.
>>
>> println() works for me.  I don't see how making this sys.println()
>> makes it in any way difficult; by the time someone *needs* println(),
>> zie had better know how to import.  It's not like print is going
>> away.
>
>Seconded on all respects.  I had originally considered the writeln
>proposal that's in the PEP, but, on second thoughts, something that
>does recall print seems better (so, why not println), and there's no
>real reason for it to be a builtin rather than residing in some library
>module (that I can see).  Is "sys" the right module, by the way...?

I'm not sure whether it should be sys.println() or go in some other
module.  My reason for suggesting sys was because of the proximity to
sys.stdout.  I don't see any other existing module that makes "more"
sense, with the possibly arguable exception of the os module.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little
statesmen and philosophers and divines."  -- Ralph Waldo Emerson