Recommendations please

dsavitsk dsavitsk at e-coli.net
Sun Aug 20 01:31:14 EDT 2000

> In any case, do consider that for some operating systems (and I think
> BSD and BeOs are in that group) most add-ons you want you'll have
> to build from sources.

FreeBSD has a fancy fancy ports collection that one typically installs at
the same time as the OS. Once installed (and it really is by default) one
simply goes to the dir where the make files live, and types "make install".
All of the business with downloading and unpacking and unzipping and
compileing and installing and whatever else happens in linux world is taken
care of.  python is there. see the FreeBSD news group for help. i found it
easier to get started in than linux. many disagree, but that was my
experience. also the news group is like this one in that many people are
very helpful and friendly.

so, in summery
type
# cd /usr/ports/something/python
# make install
and you have python. (replace "something" with the dir where this lives, i
don't remember off hand.)

doug