tabs AND spaces to indent standard libs??

jeffcjohnson at my-deja.com jeffcjohnson at my-deja.com
Tue Aug 8 11:32:06 EDT 2000

I use tabs to indent my code, I set my editor to use tab widths of 4.
I find it really frustrating when I copy code out of the libraries and
it has 4 spaces for the first indent, and a tab for the next to
simulate 8 spaces (or the first 4 spaces simulate half a tab?).  I've
never looked at tabnanny, maybe then it would all make sense, but first
I want to vent... What the hell are people thinking??!!

To my way of thinking, if you want to use spaces to indent, use
spaces.  I prefer tabs.  But why the hell would anyone want to make the
code so incredibly messy by mixing the two.  When I load it into my
editor, the indents get really messed up (visually) since my editor
shows tabs at width of 4 so they indent at the same level as the 4
spaces.

Anyone have an explanation for this?  Any chance of getting future
coding style guides to use ALL spaces or ALL tabs?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.