Telecommuting (was Re: Looking for Python programmers--where to search?)

Brett g Porter BgPorter at NOartlogicSPAM.com
Wed Aug 23 15:23:18 EDT 2000

"Aahz Maruch" <aahz at netcom.com> wrote in message
news:8o0r16$1cn$1 at slb7.atl.mindspring.net...
> In article <39a3d9cb.4496054 at news.laplaza.org>,
> Mats Wichmann <xyzmats at laplaza.org> wrote:
> >

> I dunno.  It depends what kind of work you're doing, IMO.  If it's
> something reasonably "standard", then what you're talking about makes
> sense.  OTOH, I've certainly seen telecommuting fail miserably; while
> it's not clear that the telecommuting was the problem, I do think that
> telecommuting makes it easier to hide problems.  In addition, I think
> there's no substitute for face-to-face brainstorming.

My company is 100% telecommuting. It's exciting to a lot of people, but
we've definitely found that when someone is more excited about working in
their jammies than in the work itself, problems are sure to follow.

It's nice that when we find some great talent in Idaho, or wherever, we
don't have to worry about relocating them.

Of course, we've got the culture and infrastructure to support this
arrangement. I wouldn't want to be the only telecommuter in an otherwise
meatspace company. The deck would be stacked against you.

--
// Brett g Porter * Senior Engineer, Application Development
// BgPorter @ artlogic . com * http://www.artlogic.com