Python extensions in C... and stdout problems!

Victor B. Putz vputz at nyx.net.removeme
Tue Aug 15 10:35:41 EDT 2000

>I dont know what platform you're having problems but I'll assume its Windows
>;-), thats where this problem usually
>crops up !!
>PS Please note your platform if you have problems in future, despite Bills
>delusions of grandeur, the whole world may not be running
>the "one true platform" ;-).

(Guffaw)--okay, my fault entirely for not listing the platform--I had forgotten
that the whole world was not running the other "one true platform"--seriously,
OS supremacy comments aside, this is happening on Linux, kernel 2.2.10 to be
precise, with glibc-2.1.3 and python1.5.2-7, both installed via rpm.  I suppose
if the Python interpreter is compiled statically and my shared module is trying
to use it locally, then they could be using different versions, but that would
surprise me--I thought darn near EVERYTHING on Linux was dynamically linked.

But it could be the problem, or at least related--I can compile the module into
a custom interpreter and it works fine--not ideal by any stretch, but at least
acceptable.  I'm running a little experiment to script Eiffel components through
Python (just say .NO to .NET!), and was rather frustrated with the stdin/out
problem.  If I have time I'll try just recompiling the interpreter and trying it
out as a shared module again.

I appreciate the help from you folks, though--and if you have any insights with
the same problem on Linux rather than Win32, please let me know.

Thanks!

-->VPutz