Is Python moving too fast? (was Re: Is python commercializationazing? ...)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Aug 29 00:02:32 EDT 2000

> And now that I've ruffled a bunch of feathers (five, at last count), I'll
> apologize for being so crass.
>
> I'd like to end this particular thread with a few comments/explanations:
>
> 1. I really, *really* like Python and want it to succeed wildly.  This
> means I care about it, and means that I'm going to be sticking in my two
> bits whenever I feel that things might happen that can harm it.

Hear, hear!  I suspect that describes the feelings of many, many people
in
this forum, which is a Really Good Thing.  We're all on the same side.

> 2. I'm disappointed that the dozens of messages protesting the "print >>"
> concept do not appear to be taken seriously.  It's as if the core
> developers have all made up their minds, and the intelligent
> counter-arguments, alternatives and concerns of us revolting peasants
> aren't being taken into consideration.

My first impression about "print >>" was negative.  Having read Guido's
response, however, I have to say that (a) the messages *were* taken very
seriously, and (b) the counter-counter-argument was even more
intelligent
than the intelligent counter-arguments.  IMHO, Guido has an *excellent*
innate feeling for good design, and this is another case where I am
convinced yet again that the decisions of a single lead architect
(some seem to use the term benevolent dictator but I think that smells
of a "cultism" which could scare off some people and companies)
can lead to a design with much higher integrity than one done by
committee... which is what much of our rambling in this forum amounts
to.

having-enjoyed-the-conversation-up-until-now-vicariously yours,
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
phansen at kaval.com