Still no new license -- but draft text available

Olivier Dagenais olivierS.dagenaisP at canadaA.comM
Tue Aug 15 14:34:04 EDT 2000

> > How can
> > you sell a product that is no better than your competitors'?
> If your product is *exactly* the same as your competitors, then you
> differentiate yourself in a different way.  Your question is
> interesting, but has already been answered by Ford/Lincoln/Mercury.

What the other "different" ways of differentiating yourself from your
competitors?  Where can I read up on the "answer of Ford/Lincoln/Mercury"?

> Which suggests a different distribution model.  Instead of "pay per
> copy", it's "pay per request".  Since not everybody can be a computer
> scientist, there will always be people willing to pay for work to be
> done.

YES!  Most (if not all) of my clients use the computer because they HAVE to,
and they want as little to do with it as possible.  They do, however, have
access to their department's computer technician, but not very often.
They'd probably prefer paying for my services (since I know the software
inside out) rather than wasting a technician's time.  I think I understand
it better, now.

I also have motivation for decreasing my technical support calls through
making my software as easy and friendly as possible:  the less I am
"bothered", the more time I can spend on the next version.  This might be
harder for a company that has a department devoted to technical support and
one to development, but for a one-man-band, it works out.

> You question is akin to the old question of: "Since everybody can change
> their own oil, then how can Jiffy Lube make any money?"

For the same reason Dr. McCoy always replied:  "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor,
not a mechanic!"

Olivier A. Dagenais - Software Architect and Developer
"R is a velocity measure, defined as a reasonable speed of travel
that is consistent with health, mental wellbeing and not being more
than say five minutes late." - Douglas Adams, HHGG, Chapter 34