ftplib problems with firewall

lance <lance_99_99@ no_spam>yahoo.com
Tue Aug 1 13:50:54 EDT 2000

when i use the ftplib to retrieve a directory listing or retrieve a
file, my firewall (IP Filter under OpenBSD) blocks this; i can login or
change the directory

i find this very strange as i can use the regular FTP command, or any
other program which uses TCP

this rule (using packet state) should let me use any program that uses
TCP or UDP:

pass out on <my NIC> proto tcp/udp from <my machine> to any keep state

any ideas why ftplib is not covered by this rule?.. apparantly IP Filter
can not keep state for ftplib connections, which seems odd to me

could ftplib be doing something non-standard?

any help is greatly appreciated as i'd rather not change my firewall
configuration just for ftplib

--lance