PyDict_GetItemString converse

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Aug 28 15:37:05 EDT 2000

Randy Heiland <heiland at ncsa.uiuc.edu> writes:

> I know that, given a name of a variable, I can do:
>
> PyObject *result = PyDict_GetItemString(globals, varname);
>
> how do I do the converse -- given a PyObject, get its associated
> variable name?

You can't in general.  If you're sure it's in the dictionary
"globals", I think the moral equivalent of

for (key,value) in globals.items():
    if value is result:
        return key

is your best bet.

Cheers,
M.

--
  In general, I'd recommend injecting LSD directly into your temples,
  Syd-Barret-style, before mucking with Motif's resource framework.