incrementation operators?

Colin J. Williams cjw at connection.com
Sun Aug 13 10:31:43 EDT 2000

Thomas,

Apologies for entering this so late in the game.

The PEP gives a full description of the various operators, but provides no rationale
for their introduction.

I wonder how frequently this sort of operation in place would be used in practice.
Does the frequency of likely use balance the increased clutter?  One of the
attractive features of Python is its relative simplicity.  Would we lose some of
this simplicity for little practical gain?

These operators exist in other languages.  Is there a justification for including
them in Python?

I hope that I am not too late for some sober second thoughts.

Colin W.