CP4E Video

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Thu Aug 3 06:12:06 EDT 2000

On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 05:59:34AM +0000, Neil Hodgson wrote:

>    There is a video of a talk by GvR on CP4E watchable at
> http://www.technetcast.com/tnc_play_stream.html?stream_id=240

Did anyone else notice how they misspell Guido's name, and inconsistently at
that ? He isn't named Guido Von Rossum, and I gather he's not happy with
Guido _V_an Rossum either ;) Now I understand why my girlfriend's distant
relatives (family name 'Poiesz') had such a trouble when they emigrated to
America; each one of them now has a strange and novel way to misspell
'Poiesz' as their family name.

>    Looks like it was given to an educational group rather than a Pythonic
> audience but still interesting. The date on the page is 1/Aug/2000 but from
> references to CNRI it must be fairly old.

I think I see 'March 2000' on one of the sheets. Guido also references the
'conference last January', and raising some controversial issues there (like
case insensitivity ;) so I think that's about accurate. Of course, you never
know with that damned Time Machine :)

>    I've been watching a few net videos recently from US conferences and
> something that was noticeable was the way those USAns pronounce Python. The
> second syllable is emphasised much more than with us Aussies and the 'o' is
> purer. We say it closer to "Pythn".

So do I, actually, but the way Guido pronounces it is the way Monty Python
is introduced in BBC commentaries (more like Py-thAon), so I can see where
it comes from. Me, I'm used to the dutch pronunciation (hard P, hard T,
round O), so when speaking English I kind of swallow the entire word anyway,
ending up with something close to you aussies, I guess.

Just-try-pronouncing-my-name-in-English--I-bet-you'll-get-it-wrong-ly y'rs,
--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>