gratuitous new features in 2.0

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Fri Aug 25 16:13:26 EDT 2000

In article <39A6B6B8.23D69134 at endea.demon.nl>,
Niels Diepeveen  <niels at endea.demon.nl> wrote:

>I would much prefer making redirecting output from the print statement
>easier by separating it from sys.stdout. Why not provide a function
>sys.printto() [or possibly __builtin__.printto()] that will redirect
>output from the print statement, but does not change sys.stdout?

No, this is a direction we *definitely* don't want to go in.  One of the
most important uses of the extended print is that it is easy to
interleave writes to multiple output sources.  For example, one might
want *all* output going to stdout but only certain output to stderr.

This is one point on which I'm emphatically in agreement with Guido.
(Actually, I'm emphatically in agreement with Guido on most points; it
just doesn't look like it right now because I'm a cantankerous arguer.)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

The difference between "intelligence" and "wisdom": Londo and G'Kar  --Aahz