Python reading Berlkey DB-files made with Perl

Thomas Weholt thomas at bibsyst.no
Wed Sep 22 06:52:27 EDT 1999

Hi,

Can Python read Berkley DB files created with Perl ( simple hashes,
hashes of hashes etc. , stuff created with the MLDBM-module etc. ) ??
If so, can anybody show just a simple snippet doing this, just so that I
can see how the code is compared to perl code?

The main reason for this question is that I want to use Python more, and
Perl less, mainly due to the arroganse newbies are met with in the
Perl-community. Development using languages like Perl and Python
requires, at least for me, an active, open and helpful online community.
It seems like newsgroups like comp.lang.perl.misc are a haven for people
who want to make fun of other people trying to learn how to program. The
Python-users seem less arrogant. Maybe I`m doing a huge mistake here and
getting alot of the nice people in the perl-groups agaist me, because
there are nice people there too, but I would really want to see how
Python are from Perl, and if the two can work together on the same data.

This is not a perl-bashing mail, because I find the language rather
effective and nice to program in, but being rather new to it I believe
it`s not to late to start over with another script-based language ->
Python. The change is motivated by the difficulty found in the
user-group not in the language itself.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thomas Weholt,
Norway